We strongly believe in the way in which theatre, music and dance can be a powerful tool for social change, and therefore want to commission pieces that challenge, inspire and transform the way people perceive issues around migration as part of a multicultural Britain.
Migration Matters Festival is a five-day free theatre and arts festival happening taking place in Sheffield during the annual Refugee Week (19th-23rd June) that celebrates diversity and recognises the positive impact migration has on the city. Our mission Statement is, “Bringing Sheffield’s communities together through art, performance and celebration”.
We are looking to commission around 3 new pieces of work in line with the sentiments and mission statement of the festival. We are interested in work that is exciting, innovative and challenging and interacts with the themes of migration, multicultural Britain and the theme of rebirth in keeping with our partners Sheffield Carnival. Whether work-in-progress, or close to conception, we welcome bids from emerging artists, migrant and refugee artists, as well as established companies.
Performances should be 30-60 minutes in length.
We are especially interested in work that:
- Transcends language barriers (not reliant on English)
- Shows that are interdisciplinary
- Shows that have bold and experimental ideas
- Shows that shed a new light on a subject or issue
- Shows that have already been toured
- Shows that will be under 30 minutes in length
- Shows that rely on a copyrighted script (no modern adaptations)
What we are offering:
Migration Matters Festival is committed to supporting new artists as much as presenting new work. This year’s festival is able to offer the following:
- Up to £1,000 towards the costs of the project.
- A chance to be involved in rich multi-arts programme
- Exposure of your work to a wide and diverse audience
- Photography and documentation of the piece
- Legacy and potential reprogramming/ continued relationship with the festival and Theatre Delicatessen.
If you are interested in applying please fill in this online form by 5pm on 8th April 2018.